Many homeowners do not know what their homeowners insurance policy covers. Some assume that because the house is insured, they can simply file insurance claims in the event of any calamity. This is wrong, because some policies don’t cover certain things.
Expert roofing contractor Timberline Roofing & Contracting shares a quick look at some of the things your homeowners insurance policy probably doesn’t cover.
- Earthquakes– Standard homeowners insurance policies don’t cover damages caused by earthquakes. Those living near fault lines should acquire coverage separate from standard policies.
- Floods– Although floods are one of the most common weather-related hazards, most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover them. If your home is located in a flood-prone area, you might need to purchase a flood insurance policy as well.
- Mold– Mold is a health hazard that’s very costly to remove, at prices ranging from $500 to $6,000. Sadly, homeowners insurance policies rarely cover this kind of problem. That said, it’s always better to prevent mold from growing in your home and causing damage. Contact a professional to help you make sure moisture stays out of your home, even if in damp weather.
- Termites– Termite infestation is a major problem, but most insurance policies don’t cover damage caused by these pests. You’ll need to find ways to prevent termites from invading your home – or to eliminate them if they’re already there.
- Sewer Backups– Homeowners are advised to get a separate rider that covers damages caused by sewer backups. Sewers that back up into homes can be expected to leave devastating damage to the home. It’s worth spending a few more dollars to make sure your home is insured against a nasty problem.
- Sinkholes– Sinkholes cause massive damage to everything in its radius, including structures that just had residential roof installation. Standard homeowners insurance policies, however, don’t cover damage caused by them. You’ll need to get optional sinkhole coverage if your home is located in places where sinkholes suddenly appear.
These are but some of the things most standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover. Some of them are preventable, and some aren’t. Thankfully, you can prepare your home and budget for when they happen.
Looking for a trusty contractor that can help you file insurance claims in the event that your home is damaged? Look no further than Timberline Roofing & Contracting, the reliable residential and commercial roofing repair expert. Call us at (612) 263-9700 or fill our contact form for a free estimate. We serve clients in Minneapolis, MN.